Travelling has always been a big dream of mine. I used to travel for work all the time and loved the whole process of it. I loved packing and leaving for the airport blah blah … basically everything…
Now that I have a 3 year old toddler its not so easy.
I have had to experiment a couple of times to understand how to plan and prepare for the whole process from start to finish. Here is what I have learnt ::
- Explain everything :: Its not everyday that a child goes to an airport and goes thought the so many security checks (all of which are necessary). The whole process is very new and alien to them. Seeing many things for the first time can make them very anxious and over stimulated. A few days before travel I start to explain to my toddler the whole process and making up stories around the processes. So when we are there the child is already aware and knows what to expect.
- Carry On :: I cannot tell you how happy it makes me that Miss Z can carry her own stuff now. I give her the liberty of packing her own carry on. I explain that we need snacks & water, something for entertainment (colouring/toys) and hygiene items like wipes, a change of cloths etc. By letting her do that she feels like she is part of the process and behaves responsibly.
- Tire them out :: I have always found it most useful to let her play about before any journey and let her spend her energies more in an environment that she knows and is safe for her. Sometime spent in the park before we leave for the airport also helps put her in a very happy and content mood.
- Destination Talk :: While we are at the airport I always make it a point to tell her about were we are going. I tell her about all the fun she can have there and how she will do so many new things.
- Map out the day :: This is probably one tip that has helped me the most. I have always been a planner and I like to have my travel dates set and my tickets done as early on as possible. Once I have all those details I map out the day of travel. This way I know when Miss Z will be tired , sleepy , hungry etc. This helps me with what to expect and how I can prepare for any eventuality.
I know that its not so easy with just 5 little tips. Our little humans can easily hold us ransom with their big puppy eyes. We all try and do the best we can and that is all that matters.
Are there any tips that you have practiced and can share ? Please do leave it in the comments and don’t forget to subscribe.